1. Amylase- An enzyme that breaks starches down into sugar. Amylase can be found in saliva.
2. C4 plant- Corn is a C4 plant, this means that it has adapted to minimize loss during photo-respiration.
3. Adaptation of a plant- corn has adapted to minimize loss during photo respiration.
4. Endosperm- the part of the seed that provides nutrients for the embryo. The part of corn that we eat is the endosperm.
5. Calvin Cycle- The Calvin Cycle is a process of photo synthesis where water and carbon dioxide are converted into usable compounds.
6. Cellulose- Cellulose is a major compound in all plants. Wood is nearly 50% cellulose.
7. Tendril of a plant- A tendril is a stem that is used by plants to climb up other things to get to where the sunlight is.
8. woody stem- a woody stem is a stem of a plant that has been growing for 2 or more years, after that time the stem thickens to allow for more circulation. trees are great examples of this.
9. Vascular plant tissue- Vascular plant tissue is used to transport nutrients and fluids inside the plant. The part of this leaf that looks like veins is the vascular tissue.
10. Keratin- Keratin is strong group of proteins. Hair, nails, and claws are all made of keratin.
11. Heart wood- Heart wood is the part of the tree that is in the center and is resistant to rotting.
12. hermaphrodite- a hermaphrodite has both male and female sex organs. An earthworm is a great example of this.
13. frond- a frond is a large divided leaf, ferns are a prime example.
14. fermentation- when yeast interacts with sugars to form ethanol.
15. Ethylene- Ethylene is a gas released by fruits that can help to speed up ripening.
16. Endotherm- an endotherm is any animal that regulates it’s own body heat.
17.Long day plant- long day plants require less hours of darkness to produce flowers. Clovers fall into this category.
18. Nymph stage of an insect- the nymph stage is an immature stage of an insect. When the insect matures it will molt or shed it’s skin. Cicadas cling to tree’s as they shed their skin.
19. Prokaryote- Prokaryotes are organisms that lack a nuclei or other membrane bound organelles. Plants are almost all prokaryotes.
20. Spore- Spores are used by some organisms as a means of reproduction. Some types of mold release spores. Here is some mold that i found in my sister’s basement.